Sunday, January 30, 2011

I Cannot

I could gaze at your picture for hours on end
And count the time well spent.
I could read your name again and again
And feel I was content.
I could hear you speak for days and days
And thank God for my lot.
I could say that I love you in so many ways
But I cannot.

I would wait in the rain for a day and a night
To sit with you a while.
I would spare myself no scorn or sleight
If it would make you smile.
I would sing of your beauty and kindness and grace
As what I long have sought.
I would gaze long and loving at your lovely face
But I cannot.

I wish I could tell you what goes through my soul
Each time I catch your glance.
I wish, oh I wish that I somehow could know
If I even have a chance.
I pray that the hour may come sometime soon
To say what I dare not.
I wish I could offer my whole life to you
But I cannot.

No comments: