Sunday, October 2, 2011

Upon a Dark and Winding Road

Upon a dark and winding road I walked,
And on my shoulders bore a load of stone.
With grinding bones and trembling legs I walk
Bent-backed I leaned upon my spindly staff
And every stone I saw upon the road
I lifted up and added to my load.

Upon the dark and winder road I saw
A man who bore a greater load than I
A mountain seemed to sit upon his back
And bent he walked, his hands upon a staff.
His breathing came in gasps and coughs
He seemed half-blinded by his salty-sweat

Upon the dark and winding road he turned
And saw me stagger down under my load
My strength gave out, I sank unto the ground
Crushed and bruised under my load of stones
And he set down his load and came to me
Lifted mine up and added it to his

Upon the dark and winding road I said
“I beg you sir, do not, for that is mine
I gathered them myself and so should bear
the load alone, and yours already seems
Too large for one to bear alone. I see
That you are weary, leave to me my load.”

Upon the dark and winding road he set
My load and his upon his aching back
He took his staff in hand and smiled to me
He set me on my feet and said “My friend,
You are not strong enough to bear that load
So let me take it from you, for I am.”

No comments: